I have made Lemon Drizzle cake a few times now but my mum has finally perfected the amounts and so I thought I would give you the recipe.
You will need: For the cake:
230g caster sugar
230g self raising flour
Zest from 1 lemon
For the topping:
Juice from 1 lemon
100g icing sugar
Once everything is prepared, it is quite an easy cake to make:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a 7inch loaf tin.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together for about 2 minutes with an electric whisk or until creamy and then mix all of the other ingredients in till smooth.
3. Pour into the greased tin and bake in the oven for around 45 minutes. Tip: Check it is cooked inside by using a metal skewer in the centre of the cake. Hold it in the cake for 10 seconds and then remove. If it is clear then the cake is ready but if their is cake residue then leave to bake a little longer.
4. Remove cake from the oven to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. After this, gently remove from the tin and leave to cool for a further 50 minutes.
5. Mix the icing sugar and the juice from the lemon together to make to topping. This needs to be quite thick but still pourable. (Note: mine in the picture is a little too runny hence the leaking from the top of the cake)
6. Leave for an hour until the icing on the top is set and then cut into slices to enjoy.
And there you have it. Simple Lemon Drizzle cake that is super yummy!